Brexit: driving abroad is changing

Commercial drivers operating in the EU need to prepare for Brexit by making sure they have the right documents.

To prepare for a deal and no deal scenarios, you need to:

Trailer registration

From 28 March 2019, all commercial trailers over 750kg must be registered to travel from the UK to the EU.

Visit the trailer registration page on GOV.UK for more information

International Driving Permits

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in EU and the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).

You can get IDPs from the Post Office.

Read our International Driving Permit guidance for more information about whether you require a permit and which types of permit you need.

Motor insurance green cards

Green cards are an international certificate of motor insurance. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, commercial drivers may need a green card as proof of third-party motor insurance cover.

You should contact your insurer for more information and to get a card.

Read more about vehicle insurance after Brexit

GB stickers

From 29 March, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you may need to display a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a plate with a European flag and a GB label).

Read more about GB stickers

ECMT permits

The Government remains confident that hauliers won’t need ECMT permits to drive in the EU after Brexit, but we are still progressing contingency plans to prepare for all scenarios.

As part of these contingency plans, we have secured more ECMT permits. We’ll let you know how we’re allocating these shortly.

Read our ECMT permit guidance

Want to know more?

The UK Government’s Brexit website has information and updates on everything you should do to prepare for Brexit.

You can also register for alerts and further information about Brexit.


Note to readers:  Information published via Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency