For every commercial, public and multiple occupancy building, fire doors are now a crucial part of fire protection. They do save lives and do save properties.
In the UK it is estimated that around 3 million new fire doors are installed and with the majority being made from timber each year. A fire door is protection, and there is the requirement of the specification, maintenance and management of the doors, that could mean life or death of anyone that is in the building at the time of a fire. With the estimated figures of new fire doors being installed each year, fire doors are also an area of neglect and more often than not mistreated during their lifespan. For example being propped open with furniture, damaged in moving furniture of building works or just being badly maintained. With this in mind this is where “Fire Door Safety Week” was born.
Fire Door Safety week is a week of raising awareness and bring safety to the attention of everyone. Supported by a wide range of organisations, Fire Door Safety Week is the brainchild of the British Woodworking Federation, BWF-CERTIFIRE Scheme and Fire Door Inspection Scheme (FDIS).
Important Factors to be achieved are:
- Raising awareness to the importance of fire doors and bringing to peoples attention poor installation and care.
- Give building owners a boost in keeping up to date with the checking fire doors on a regular basis, checking for conditions, damage and general maintenance.
- Finding common grounds with other business owners and organisations that are within the fire protection business – Linking together in business.
- Educate people – it is not just about linking with industry sectors that have a common ground, but also to educate all industries and the general public.
How to get involved!
The team here at the Forum fully support Fire Door Safety Week and we have added below some of the ways of how you can get involved and support this fantastic week of safety recognition.
- Upload Fire Door Safety Week logo to your own website and put a link to Fire Door Safety Week
- Tweet about Fire Door Safety Week or publicise your support on other social media using hashtag #FireDoorSafetyWeek.
- Sign up to Fore Door Safety Week Thunderclap on social media.
- Use videos to raise awareness among staff or building users.
- Carry out an inspection of your fire doors, or get a FDIS Certificated Inspector to help.
- Display posters showing three simple fire door safety tips.
- Distribute copies of our free fact cards on all aspects of fire door specification.
- Send an email to all your customers saying you support Fire Door Safety Week and letting them know about Fire Door Safety Week website.
Let us know how you got involved and we will feature any great stories we receive email them to us!