Forum members who employ EU citizens

Many Forum members employ EU citizens in their businesses. With this in mind it is important that you are aware of the EU Settlement Scheme and how it works as you may need to signpost and help some of your employees to go through this process.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

If you are an EU citizen, you and your family members are able to apply to the EU settlement scheme to continue living in the UK. This information also applies to EEA and Swiss nationals, who are eligible to apply to the EU settlement scheme.

The EU settlement scheme allows EU citizens and their families to get the immigration status they need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. This status means that you continue to be eligible for:

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools.
  • Public funds and pensions.
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements.

How to apply?

EU citizens need to complete a short online application form, using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. The application will ask for basic factual information like name, address, contact details and nationality. It is free to apply to the scheme.

Application guidance can be found on

Once the guidance has been read the application can be completed at
To complete the application you will need the following:

  • Access to the internet on a computer, tablet or smartphone
  • A valid passport or identity card
  • A recent photograph
  • Your NI number if you have one
  • Proof of residence, bank statement, utility bills or payslips

For more information, guides and leaflets on the EU Settlement Scheme, including the support available,