HM Revenue and Customs has launched a new hotline for the public to report fraud and evasion in the fight against tax fraud.
his service has replaced two separate tax evasion and customs hotlines with one, streamlining HMRC’s intelligence gathering on tax fraud.
The HMRC Fraud Hotline: 0800 788 887
The hotline is open between 8am and 8pm, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Customers can use the new hotline to report all kinds of tax fraud and evasion, including:
- PAYE and National Insurance fraud
- undisclosed offshore investments
- tax credit fraud
- failure to pay UK duty
- tax evasion
- VAT fraud
Jennie Granger, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Compliance, said:
Information provided by the public is a crucial element of HMRC’s work to close the tax gap, so it’s vital that the reporting process is as simple and accessible as possible. The HMRC Fraud Hotline will form an important part of our intelligence gathering operations to bring in more money for the Exchequer and the country.
We encourage the public to continue to work with us and report any suspected fraud or evasion to us for investigation.
Notes to editors from HMRC
- You can also report online using our digital form available on GOV.UK.
- In the last financial year, we received over 113,000 reports from members of the public providing information to the department.
- An audio clip from broadcast can be found here