As an Employer, you will often require your survey staff to drive as part of their job requirements for you.
As a result, you will responsible for the “provision and use” of these vehicles whether they are:
- Provided by you directed (company owned);
- Provided by you (hired, leased); or
- Provided by Employees (the “grey fleet”)
You will already be aware of the requirement to establish a comprehensive Vehicle Safety Policy to outline the duties and responsibilities for all of the arrangements around the provision and use of such vehicles.
Some of the arrangements will relate to roadworthiness and legal compliance. Ensuring that cars are in date with respect to tax and MOT can be time-consuming – especially where requests for information from Employees relating to their own vehicles are not forthcoming in a timely manner.
Find out if a vehicle has up-to-date vehicle tax or has been registered as off the road (SORN). Note: It can take up to 5 working days for the records to update. https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
Check the past results of a vehicle’s MOT tests, including:
- If it passed or failed.
- The mileage recorded when it was tested.
- What parts failed at each test, and if any parts had minor problems.
- When its next MOT is due.